By John Davenport |
Eating when you are bored? If it’s any consolation, take heart from the fact that you are not alone. Thousands of people do it.
Emotional eating is when people turn to food to plug a gaping void in their life. In general, this void may be caused by agony, stress, loneliness, sadness, anxiety, frustration or boredom. When boredom is at the root of bingeing, it is called boredom eating.
But, you can stop eating when bored. Here are some tips to help you do that..
- Maintain a food journal where you record the time of eating, what you ate and the approximate number of calories. This will give you a realistic picture of actual hunger levels.
- Often, the desire to eat is just the body’s way of signaling thirst. The brain mistakes the signal and prompts you to eat instead. Before you eat anything, drink a tall glass of water. Add a sprig of mint or a dash of lime to the water if you want to some flavor.
- Take up a hobby activity. If you know when you are likely to be bored (after returning from work or after the children have gone to sleep or while waiting for your spouse), pick up an activity that you’re happy doing. Reading a romance, walking, gardening, writing, chatting are all activities you can consider.
- The availability of tempting foods makes it easy to eat when you are bored. Try not to store comfort foods and snacks at home. They are more likely to end up in your stomach if they are at home and nearby.
- Brush your teeth as soon as you have finished a main meal. The taste of mint makes you feel fresh and acts as a curb on the desire to eat.
- Do not eat while you are doing other activities. Do not eat and watch television, talk, chat on the Internet or read. When you eat, focus on the act of eating – one hundred percent. Enjoy it and feel your stomach filling up with food.
As you can see, you can stop the habit of eating when bored. But, awareness is the first step. This has to be followed by decisive action.
By John Davenport
John Davenport is a healthy and fitness author. He is the administrator of World of Diets and the creator of the Emotional Eating Solution online course which helps people overcome emotional binge eating.