Here are 7 great tips to help you get more sleep
1) Dim the lights an hour before you go to bed. This reproduces the sunset. The pineal gland will release melatonin, which is a hormone that prepares your body for sleep when it senses the lower light levels.
2) If you’re thinking about stuff you have to do tomorrow, clear your mind by writing them down just before going to bed. Clearing your mind is a great way to switch off and sleep.
3) If you find that you’re still awake 15 minutes after going to bed, get up and do something relaxing, like reading a book, or even meditating. No TV, no exercise, definitely no Internet. This way your mind and body can slow down. By laying in bed thinking about how awake you are, you’ll just stay awake.
4) Get up at the same time every single day. If you wake up at six every morning during the week, and then sleep in until nine or 10 on the weekends, you’re giving yourself jet lag. Monday morning is going to be rough!
5) Have more sex. You may nod off more quickly after sex, and for good reason. “After orgasm, the hormone prolactin is released, which is responsible for the feelings of relaxation and sleepiness” after sex, says Sheenie Ambardar, MD.
6) There is also something called sleep restriction/consolidation therapy. This is designed to minimize the amount of time that you spend awake in bed. It works by first limiting the overall amount of time you spend in bed. This is done by going to sleep very late at night, getting up at a fixed time, and then moving the bedtime back progressively by 15 minutes every night until a normal amount of sleep is obtained.
7) Try a relaxing meditation – We have some great ones on the GOM TV page here
Make sure that you reduce the amount of noise in the bedroom if it interferes with your sleep. You can use a white noise machine, which provides neutral sounds to help you sleep. There are also several products that create special audio programs to assist you in sleeping.
Sleep is a vital function and good sleep is necessary for good health. If you are not getting good sleep, make sure you have good “sleep hygiene” by following these suggestions. Of course, if you are still having problems, you should consult with a qualified health care provider.